CranioSacral Therapy is a gentle form of therapy that releases tensions deep in the body to relieve pain and dysfunction and improve general health. Using a very gentle touch, practitioners release restrictions in the soft tissues that surround the central nervous system.
The central nervous system controls all that the body does, and is highly influenced by the membranes and fluid that surround, protect and nourish the brain and spinal cord. This system is known as the craniosacral system. This system can be distorted by other tissues in the body, which then impedes the function of the brain and spinal cord. As the brain and spinal cord are responsible for almost all bodily functions, this can impact overall health. CranioSacral therapy aims to gently restore the balance and function of the craniosacral system by releasing any restriction on the tissues influencing this system. This normalizes the environment around the brain, activating the body’s own self-healing abilities.
CranioSacral Therapy shares many of the benefits of Therapeutic Relaxation Massage. It can also have an impact on many of the following disorders and health conditions:
- Migraine Headaches
- Chronic Neck and Back Pain
- Motor-Coordination Impairments
- Central Nervous System Disorders
- Orthopedic Problems
- Concussions and Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Infantile Disorders
- Learning Disabilities
- Chronic Fatigue
- Emotional Difficulties
- Stress and Tension-Related Problems
- Fibromyalgia and other Connective-Tissue Disorders
- Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
- Neurovascular or Immune Disorders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Post-Surgical Dysfunction
During a CranioSacral Therapy session you may feel peaceful and relaxed, and may fall asleep. You may also feel small subtle movements in your tissues and joints around the pelvis, spine and skull.